Thursday

Main Menu Design

For the main menu, I wanted to have a really creepy/eerie screen that would immediately reveal to the player the theme that they're about to venture into. Using the blood spots on a dark screen (my main cover image), I used that as the background.

Pressed for time, I didn't want to spend a lot of hours trying to make an animated rain effect on Adobe Animate as a lot of art assets needed to be developed. Searching online, I found a royalty-free, smooth rain animation that would work for the main menu screen. It is a simple pelt-down of water droplets.

Applying this animation layered over the background image had created a dark, tense scene.

The next stage for the menu screen was to find the correct intro music that would add to this visual effect. That's when I found a really eerie piano version of the 'tili tili bom' russian film lullaby. It was slow, tense and perfect for what I imagined the intro to be.

I took the tili tili bom piano track and uploaded it into Fruity Loops Studio. From there, I added a few sound effects such as a knife clanging, mushing noises and various others that would enhance the creepiness of the lullaby.

The final addition was the rain sound effect that would loop over faintly behind the main piano track.



Aniss. (2017) Tili Tili Bom - Piano Verse. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvAINaFF2rA

Ron. (2008) Flash FX Animation - #4 Rain. Available from: http://flashfx.blogspot.co.uk/2008/12/4-rain.html